Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The mani of firsts, but the first of many! (heh)

I crack myself up. No, really, I'm proud of that title! Go ahead, read it again.

NailaDay: Halloween Mani with Sinful Colors Hazard and double accent

You're back? Ok, now for explanations. The other contender for the title was going to be Halloween Skittlettes (skittlettes being a term coined by Marta of Chit Chat Nails, to be explained later). The evolution of this manicure into a Halloween based mani was completely accidental. I originally picked Sinful Colors Hazard and Love and Beauty Bronze because I just wanted a bright and cheery but not an overdone mani. So my first iteration of this mani was actually this:

NailaDay: Sinful Colors Hazard with Polka Dot accent


NailaDay: Sinful Colors Hazard with Polka Dot accent

Keep reading after the break for more.



So, if any of you have this polish, you will know that IT IS NOT THIS ORANGE! For all the white balance adjusting and color correcting I did, I could not convey the small amount of pink in it that takes it to a more coral/circus peanut color than this. So, basically it looks orange now. In real life, in certain lights, it does look pretty orange but not like that. 

Anyway, the accent nail is done in Love and Beauty Bronze. I've used this color in other manis before but haven't posted it yet. You will see it again eventually. It's a beautiful rose gold foil that acheived coverage in two coats. I used two coats for Hazard too. So, after wearing this for about a day, I spied a recently acquired bottle of Maybelline Cocktail Dress from their LE Dressed in Sequins collection in my stash. And, with images in my head of Marta's recent usage of the skittlettes in this post, and this post and various others, I came up with this:

NailaDay: Halloween Mani with Sinful Colors Hazard and double accent


NailaDay: Halloween Mani with Sinful Colors Hazard and double accent


And since it's so orange and black and all, I am dubbing it my Halloween Skittlettes. So, for those who did not follow the earlier links, skittlettes are basically meant to describe a double accented manicure. This will be my first Halloween and my first skittlette mani. I think I really like them! You guys can tell me if you like the concept and if you think I pulled it off at all. I think I would like to do more of them! (Hence, the first of many...)

So, now for the other thing that's a first, I actually used the Elmer's Glue method of a peel-off base coat. I applied two layers of Elmer's glue with a cheap Crayola Paintbrush, let it dry, then painted over it with a regular base coat, color and topcoat. Since I'm still wearing it, we'll have to wait till after Halloween to find out how it came off :-) 

NailaDay: Halloween Mani using Elmer's as Base Coat

Update: Hurricane Sandy is doing a number out here in Cleveland too. Our power went out last night, roof sprung a leak and it might be a while before I can get another post out since I can only really access internet at work. Good thing I had this post all created before the power went out!

6 comments:

  1. This are very cute and Halloween fitting! the colors blend in together perfectly :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was pleased I ended up doing a sort of Halloween mani after all. I can't wear anything too crazy at work and spiders and ghosts and googly eyes just didn't seem that professional, lol!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I so want cocktail dress. I wish Hazard were that orange. Take care and stay safe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda. I just heard that we have electricity again so I'm excited about that!

      Delete
  3. Looks great - the colors go well together. I like using Elmer's glue for a base for glitter polishes. It really does work, and it lasts longer than you would think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! I agree, Elmer's is great! I've done the removal already and it was so easy!

      Delete

Please let me know what you think! I love, love reading comments so don't be shy! Leave comments, questions, suggestions and I will reply as soon as I can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...